My Wild Weekend

29 Aug

After a totally insane and exhausting work week, I finally got to go on my very, very anticipated trip to Boston with Alex. We’ve had this trip planned for months, and it was really necessary for us to just get away to maintain our sanity.

On 9:30 Thursday morning we got up and got ready to finally go! The ride was so much fun: we actually stopped for lunch at Super Duper Weenie, a hot dog joint in Connecticut that was on Guy Fieri’s “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.” I don’t think I need to explain how good it was, but yeah it was awesome. Besides that we listened to music, joked and talked about Boston. We were so excited to just be with each other, not worrying about parents calling us to do this or that, no one to interrupt our conversations, just the two of us.

We got to Boston a little late, because driving through the nightmare that is New York City slowed us down. I seriously hate New York City. An eight dollar toll to drive through a bridge that takes 2 hours to get through? Yeah, lets not talk about it. When we got to Boston we had just enough time to get dressed and head out to dinner.

Alex and I are serious foodies. I don’t think I would do as good of a job without him, because he knows how to research and find the best spots to eat. For dinner the first night Alex found The Union Oyster House. The Oyster House is the oldest restaurant in the United States, There is a raw bar there from the 1800’s. It is so old that it is on a tilt from people constantly resting their arms on it. It was one of the most interesting restaurants I’ve ever been to, and it might just be the best damn restaurant in the world.  Raw clams, oysters, New England Clam Chowder, Lobster Newburg… oh my god. I’m telling you, this place is bananas. Get off the computer, drive up to Massachusetts and eat your face off at the Union Oyster House.

Our tour guide

The next day we took a tour of the Freedom Trail. The Freedom Trail is an actual red line that runs about five miles through the city. It leads tourists through the city, taking them to the most significant historical monuments, like the Old North Church or the U.S.S. Constitution. We had this awesome tour guide that took us around to some of the most historical areas of Boston and told us fun little facts. Even when you’re traveling on a budget, I always suggest getting a professional tour of areas that you are interested in: the best part about it is that each tour guide offers new and really interesting historical facts that you can’t find in history books or online. Our tour guide actually had descendants from as far back as Plymouth Rock that he shared facts about. For the price I played I really learned some interesting things that I never about. Boston is a seriously interesting city, and a lot of the things we learned in our history books as kids were really fabricated and fussed about.

I am not ashamed of this.

We stopped for lunch at Wagamama’s. For any and all residents of the Boston area, or anyone living in the United Kingdom/ Europe: GO TO WAGAMAMA’S. I cannot stress this enough. I first found this awesome Asian restaurant when I travelled to the UK in 2007 with my high school class. I mean, it makes friggin gourmet ramen noodles. That should be enough to get a person into the restaurant in the first place. I think I wanted to go there so bad, though, because I hadn’t seen one since my trip to study abroad. I have great memories with great friends at Wagamama’s: meeting up after class every Wednesday night for Yaki Soba then hitting up the bars around the area, we were pretty much always in there. Obviously when we got into the Wagamama’s I had to act like a nutjob, taking a ton of pictures and texting everyone I had ever met while living in the U.K. Plus, Alex, who had also lived in the same area as I had one year after me, had never actually visited one of these wonderful establishments, and I simply couldn’t let him go on living without trying some sick, made to order Asian sensations.

It was around the end of our afternoon that Hurricane Irene got in the way. We went back to the hotel to prepare for our night, flipped on the television, and boom. Oh, the horror, Oh the humanity! Every station was filled with people going absolutely bat-out-of-hell-bonkers over Irene. They had evacuated New York City… seriously? New York City? Is that physically possible? So there goes our ride home, kapoot. Then we find out the hurricane was scheduled to reach our neighborhoods at home by around 2 p.m. the next day, so we had to be home before that. We weren’t done our vacation, it felt like we had just gotten there, but we already had to start wrapping it up.

Yawkey Way

Our last stop of the night was Fenway Park to catch a Red Sox game. I was pretty much exhausted beyond belief and I was still upset from all of this Irene poppycock, so I wasn’t as excited as I wanted to be, but it turned out to be pretty cool anyway. Let me clarify, first and foremost, that I am not a Red Sox fan. I have never been a Red Sox fan and I will never be a Red Sox fan. I am a baseball fan, and since Fenway Park is celebrating 100 years of existence we thought it was a good idea to check out one of the oldest baseball establishments there is. From the outside Fenway is very very cool. It has its own private street, Yawkey Way, that opens up for pre-game drinking, eating and celebrating. Inside Fenway, I thought, was a little less than I expected. It was pretty dirty, pretty old-looking and I thought it could have been kept up much better. But I am biased: my favorite baseball field is only seven years old.

Al and I onboard the U.S.S. Constitution, the oldest active U.S. war ship

The Red Sox got slaughtered by the Oakland A’s, so we left in the middle of the sixth inning to get back to the hotel and get some rest before our 5:30 a.m. wake-up call home. We wanted to see Sam Adams on Saturday, and we wanted to make a stop at another “D.D.D.” restaurant on the way home, but none of that was going to pan out. We were getting ready for a long, rainy, traffic-packed ride home, which didn’t end up being that bad after all. It took us about five hours of smooth driving and clear weather to get home, once we figured out an alternate route that would avoid NYC entirely (thank goodness). We had enough time to stop at Shop Rite (also not as insane as I predicted), make lunch, nap and hang out before the actual hurricane Irene rain started. Even when it did it wasn’t actually that bad. I wasn’t too happy about that: if I had to abandon my vacation plans I expected fire and brimstone from this bitchy hurricane, but now that I look at it with a clear head I realize how lucky we all were to have been safe and sound.

It was a totally crazy and unexpected weekend. Sure it definitely ended too quickly, I could have used another 24 hours of alone time with my man, but we got to spend some really great time together with his family. I feel lucky to have had the time we had together, and even luckier that we are all safe and no harm was done. Plus, with the money we saved cutting our trip short we can afford another mini-vacation in the fall!

One Response to “My Wild Weekend”

  1. Angela August 30, 2011 at 1:37 am #

    I’m sorry your vacay got cut short…but super stoked that the fedora is traveling so much. I vote this as a new family tradition ❤

Leave a Reply to Angela Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: